Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'd rather have a messy son...


Just in case you read this and you don't know, Hulda and I've been married for 10 years before we finally have Jayden in January 2006. He truly is a miracle baby because doctors told us that the only way we can ever hope to have a baby is through IVF. I guess God had other plans.

So Jayden is almost two and he's at a stage where he knows how throw tantrums, blows at people he doesn't know, and generally disobeys our orders. I have to be honest that it can be frustrating at times and I often wonder if I could return him to where ever he came from. JUST KIDDING!!!

A couple of days ago Jayden had terrible fever. His temperature was high (39.6 deg c) but his hands and feet were cold. I rushed back from the office to take care of him as it was too late for Hulda to cancel her teaching. I gave him panadol and put cool wet cloth on his forehead to keep the temperature down. Later that day we took him to the doctor and the doc said he has gastroenteritis. I thank God for concerned friends who prayed for him and for us.

That afternoon, seeing Jayden just laying there helplessly in my arms made me realise how much I love him despite his tantrums and his disobedience. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who feels this way but I really wish it was me who was sick.

As our heavenly Father, I'm sure that's how God feels when he sees us suffer or struggle with sins. He's not the God who just can't wait to punish us every time we made a mistake. Exodus 34:6 says that The LORD is "the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." Similarly, Numbers 14:18 says "The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion."

We waited 10 years before we had a son. Yea, Jayden frustrates me at times. But, I thank God that I even have a son. I wouldn't trade him for anything. I think that's exactly how God feels about me and you. The message of the well-known story of the prodigal son who decided to come home to his father after living a life of sin is loud and simple but clear. God is saying to us "I'd rather have a messy son than have no son at all."

7 comments:

Oh for the love of food! said...

Awww... he's so cute! you can't say 'no' to that gorgeous face! Our children are truly our greatest gifts from God, aren't they Daniel? They are so precious. We are praying for Jayden to have a speedy recovery.

Daniel Indradjaja said...

Thanks Carol. Jayden is feeling better. They are really precious. I'm not just saying this, but Chloe and Paige are awesome. You and Ming did very well with them. Just get ready for barrage of parenting questions that will come your way soon from us. :-)

Anonymous said...

Abraham had Isaac when he was way older... I can only imagine how he might have felt when Yahweh told Abraham that he will need to sacrifice Isaac.

But God provided a way out as it was only a test of Abraham's faithfulness.

Great blog, and I must thank Yahweh for leading me here from BlogCatalog. To learn that you studied in Singapore is a big plus too, as I am from Singapore. :-)

God bless!

Shabbat Shalom.

Daniel Indradjaja said...

Thanks Sicarii for your comments.

You're right. I don't know how Abraham did it. If God asked me to sacrifice my son, there's a very good chance I might say no. :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL, I am not arguing with a pastor! :-P

Shalene said...

Isn't it wonderful how God uses parenthood to show us His divine love for us? We are all like 2 year olds on occasion when it comes to obeying God and His commands. Blessings to you.

Lance said...

I have a son too. They are precious things. Always good to meet a fellow Christian blogger. Maybe we can exchange links.
God bless,
Lance
www.lancessoulsearching.com
jgargus2@comcast.net