Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Dog and The Shadow Pt. 2

When I was in Singapore Bible College, I had a lecturer who later became my spiritual mentor. His name is Sabin Huang. I would go to his house every Monday morning to talk to him about anything and absorbed his wisdom as much as I could. His style was rather unconventional, to say the least. He was not a conformist, but in a good way. He's a brilliant lecturer, an astute Bible student, and to me, a wonderful mentor. He even preached at my wedding and was instrumental in my going to Dallas Theological Seminary.

One of the things I remember he taught me was the spiritual application of this fable. He even drew up a diagram (see above) which I think connects brilliantly a lot of theological truth taught in the Scripture. He said, ”The devil often tries to make us think like the dog and plays mind games with us and tricks us into giving up what we already have to get what we do not need. What we have is Christ. He fulfills all our Needs. We are complete in Him (Colossians 2:10) But the devil makes us think that we need more. - More love, more security, more approval and acceptance. When we try to grab the Idols that seem to provide us with more love, more security, and more approval, we lose the opportunities to enjoy our abundant life in Christ. “

Distinguishing between what is real and counterfeit, between needs and wants, between what God offers and what the devil offers, is indeed critical to the success of our walk with God.

6 comments:

Oh for the love of food! said...

Daniel, I think that it's really great that you had a Spiritual Mentor, I need one too! It would really be wonderful if we could have a woman's fellowship where we can meet together once a week , share and pray for one another. It would really be beneficial for my spiritual growth.

Daniel Indradjaja said...

Women's fellowship sounds like a great idea. I'll see what we can do. :-)

May said...

Hey Daniel

I was bored and decided to google my Papa's name just to see how obscure he is. it was funny to see his name in someone's blogg and i had to check it out. I figure it was either you or that silly boy from India. It was great seeing Jayden though. Tell Hul that he's lovely and that I would love to get the chance to see her as a mom. By the way, Papa's got new stuff to teach. After 18 years, I'm still learning new stuff from him each week. Hey, Do you have skype? Oh, we have mac too. So you can even ichat with him. :)
Hope to hear from you and hul and jayden too.
May

Anonymous said...

Interesting little article, with very good application.

I'm looking for Perth pastors I can connect with in the blogging world while I live as an expat in Seoul, Korea. There don't seem to be too many - mind if I add you to my list?

All the best, Pastor Dave Shaw

http://expatpastor.wordpress.com

Esther said...

A couple of years later...I have Huang Sabin's OT Made Simple, which I think is a marvelous book. I've never seen the NT one, but would love to. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere in the world? (OT Made Simple is on Amazon.com for about $140 US, so I assume it's out of print.)

Anonymous said...

Hello Esther. I happen to know pastor huang and He is retired he will no longer be printing books but I think he still has a copy or two of NT made simple in his possession. That I am not sure of though. Hope this helps.